Top 9 facts you need to know about American shoppersJanuary 31, 2023
Selling in the US market? Then it’s best to have as much insight as possible about your potential customers.
Selling in the US market? Then it’s best to have as much insight as possible about your potential customers. So, let’s get straight to the point – here are the top 9 facts you need to know about American shoppers.
- Let’s start with the money. In 2022, the average American shopper spent about 5,077 USD on average on online purchases.
- Still considering your delivery policy? 66% of American shoppers expect free shipping across the board – regardless of order amount.
- In general, the US market rates three factors in omnichannel retail as most important: cost of delivery, delivery speed and the ability to choose from various delivery options.
- While in-store shopping remains a preference for many consumers, data from 2022 showed that 57% of them prefer doing their shopping online. That’s up 10% from 2022!
- Moving on to popular categories, US shoppers preferred 3 overall: Clothing/Apparel (28%), Toys/Hobbies (15%) and Entertainment/Education (12%).
- Subscriptions like Amazon Prime are popular in the US and have become important drivers of eCommerce growth in the country. In the past year, the share of subscription eCommerce sales was 33.5 billion USD (3% of total retail eCommerce sales). Also, subscription boxes were quite popular.
- The most popular retail sale events in the US are by far Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Last year, Cyber Monday alone generated about 10.7 billion USD, becoming "the biggest online shopping day in U.S. history".
- Speaking of special occasions, 58% of American shoppers look for discounts when shopping for a gift.
- The top 3 holiday gift options for 2022 were physical goods (59%) such as clothing and electronics, followed by gift cards (49%) and virtual goods (29%), e.g. streaming and music services.
Now that you’re an expert in the US market, it’s time to ship your goods. Joom Logistics provides you with all the tools you need to upgrade your delivery services to the next level. Contact us now for a free consultation!